Cathedral of Guadalajara


  • CATEGORY: Interest places

REVIEW

In 1561 the King of Spain, Felipe II ordered its construction, it was dedicated in 1618 and consecrated in October 12th, 1716, since then it has had several transformations, its construction was in charged to the architect Martín Casillas. The façade has a mixture of architectonical styles, the current towers (65 meters high) were built in the 19th century, as the original ones collapsed in 1818 during an earthquake, the dome also, isn’t the original one and was rebuilt after the 1875 earthquake. Nowadays the shape of the Cathedral’s Towers has become a symbol of our city. Mix of Gothic, Baroque, Moorish and Neoclassical influences, in its combination, the Cathedral isn’t exempted of grace and rhythm. One of a kind in the country, with its Gothic interior, the three naves consist of six tall and spacious sections, covered with Gothic domes and ribs with golden ornaments, at the same height, every nave, has round fluted pillars in the side walls. An important painting is the Immaculate Conception by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, placed in the sacristy. Here is the second largest pipe organ in Mexico, of French origin.

ADDRESS

Avenida Alcalde 10, esquina con Avenida Hidalgo, Col. Guadalajara Centro, C.P. 44100, Guadalajara, Jalisco

PRICES

Entrada libre.

CONTACT