Saint John the Baptist Church, Metepec


  • CATEGORY: Interest places

REVIEW

Saint John the Baptist became one of the most important convents of the region. On 1569 the Franciscan codex mentions the convent. It was from there that the evangelists went on their visits to the six villages that comprised the Doctrine: San Miguel Totocuitlapilco, San Bartolomé Tlaltelulco, San Francisco Coaxusco, San Jerónimo Chicahualco, Santa María Magdalena Ocotitlán, and San Felipe Tlalmimilolpan, and San Mateo Atenco.

On 1754, the convent and the church were put in charge of the priest Cayetano Jacinto de Sotomayor, first secular priest of Metepec. This architectural group was declared national monument on 1934.

The cloister was completely covered with paintings. Remains of the decorations can still be seen on the walls, vaults, arches, and columns, with great artistic quality, which represents the process of evangelization, and constitute a tangible testimonial of the Viceregal past in Mexico.

The most outstanding feature of this church is his concave Baroque façade, with a profuse decoration in mortar.

ADDRESS

16 de Septiembre 409, Col. San Miguel, C.P. 52140, Metepec, Estado de México

PRICES

Entrada libre.