Juarez Theater, Guanajuato



REVIEW

It was built between 1873 and 1903 with a draft of the engineer Jose Noriega, who designed the theaters Manuel Doblado (Leon, Gto.), de la Paz (San Luis Potosi, S. L. P.) and Morelos (Aguascalientes, Ags.). The construction process, interrupted for some years, was renewed in 1893 by the architect Antonio Rivas Market and the engineer Alberto Male on orders of the governor Joaquin Obregon Gonzalez.

It was inaugurated on October 27, 1903 by President Porfirio Diaz. The event presented for the occasion was the opera Aida by Giuseppe Verdi, in charge of the Italian Company Ettore Drog and Cia. directed by Napoleon Sieni and Giorgio Polaco. Among the artists of this company stand out Maria Grisi and Mary Pozzi; the singers Luigi Longobardi, Guillermo Caruson and Libero Ottoboni. The set design was in charge of a remarkable Catalonian painter and the Mexican Jesus Herrera y Gutierrez. 
Architecturally, the theater is a sample of the eclecticism prevailing at the time. It emphasizes its roman-inspired doric peristyle. The main hall corresponds to the model of European theaters; it has a horseshoe shape, with four set for boxes and general seating; its interior is decorated in oriental style highlighting the backdrop made by the French artist Labasta, decorator and theatrical designer of the Comic Opera of Paris; it is a drapery that recreates a fragment of the fairy tale The golden horn of Constantinople.

 

ADDRESS

Sopeña s/n , Col. Guanajuato Centro, C.P. 36000, Guanajuato, Guanajuato

OPENNING HOURS

From Monday to Saturday, 10:00 - 20:00 hrs.
domingo, 10:00 - 18:00 hrs.

CONTACT

Tel. (473) 102 2700 y 732 1542
cultura@redes.int.com