Basilica Cathedral of León


  • CATEGORY: Interest places
  • PHONES: (477) 716 1457

REVIEW

The construction of the cathedral in baroque and neoclassic style began by the Jesuits in 1746, with the idea of replacing the old venue of the Holy School which had some damages. The construction was suspended when the Jesuits were expelled and it remained with 8 meter height. The construction continued until the 19th century.

In 1864, the towers and cupula were completed; chapels like the Most Holy and Loreto were added. It was consecrated and devoted as cathedral on March 16, 1866.

Its current look is the result of the demolition made in 1902 for the crowning of Our Lady of Light, there are celebration and pilgrimages in her honor.

ADDRESS

Álvaro Obregón s/n , esquina con Hidalgo, Col. Guanajuato Centro, C.P. 36000, Guanajuato, Guanajuato

CONTACT

Tel. (477) 716 1457